Blocks Make Yoga Possible
Let’s talk about how blocks make yoga possible! I love that to practice yoga, we do not need a lot of fancy equipment. A block or two, a strap, and a mat and we are ready to go. The tools are pretty portable too so we can use them in the studio, at home, or on the road. If you don’t have a set of blocks (paid link), I suggest you remedy that because blocks make yoga possible!
Want actionable yoga tips from me? Ways you can ease pain and modify yoga poses to fit your needs? Then hop on the newsletter! Read more of this content when you subscribe today.
Blocks Make Yoga Possible- 5 Poses
How are blocks used in a yoga practice? Let me suggest some ways for you to try out today:
- The block can be used as a gentle chest opener. You can place it along the spine or under the shoulder blades lengthwise. You will open your chest and heart by letting the shoulders roll back. Your throat is open, stimulating the thyroid. Knees bent will release pressure in your lower back. If your head does not reach the ground, use a second block under the head.
2. Use the blocks as a guide for alignment in chaturanga. Placing shoulders on two blocks will help you to feel the angle of elbows and wrists for building up strength in the upper body.
3. Pigeon pose can be very challenging. We try to line our bent leg perpendicular to the top of the mat. This means that the hip may not come all the way to the floor. So we place a block under the hip so that we can fully lengthen the other leg and feel balanced in the pose.
4. Placing a block at the sacrum in bridge pose can lift our body and hold it in place while we relax our muscles. We can relax our glutes and hamstrings while opening our chest and stretching the front of the body.
5. Use the block to reach for the floor in standing poses. Take the ego out of it and enjoy better balance and stability in standing poses by bringing the floor closer to you! Blocks make yoga possible!
What is your favorite way to use a block? The options are limitless!!
Props for Practice- Yoga Traveler Online Product
3 Tutorials- Yoga Props, Seated Poses Modifications, Standing Poses Modifications
5 Yoga Sessions:
Yoga Against the Wall– Supportive for the back, stretches the legs, and improves circulation and metabolism in inversions.
Core Integration with a Block– Uses the block to help us learn how to engage our core for alignment and strength.
Yoga with a Strap– Opens the shoulders, chest, and back and allows for greater flexibility in poses.
Restorative Yoga with a Bolster– Opens hips and sacrum gently while easing pain in the back. Good for pregnancy as well!
Evergreen Access (You ALWAYS have access!)
All of this for $9.99! Click here to purchase the program!