Surya Namaskara Foundations
Welcome to Surya Namaskara Foundations of the Ashtanga Primary Series, the Surya Namaskara A and B sequences. Surya means “the sun” and Namaskara is a greeting of honor and respect to the divinity present in each of us. With the Surya Namaskaras, we set the rhythm and mood for each session of yoga. For Ashtanga, the Primary, Intermediate, and Advanced sequences are an extension of what we learn in the movement of the surya namaskara foundations. We marry breath and movement in a way that sets this system of yoga apart from other methods. Try one of each A and B with me here:
Surya Namaskara Foundations- Movement
Feel the relationship between the movement and breath as you enjoy the surya namaskara foundations sequence. Notice that the inhales happen as you lift your body, like with urdhva dhanurasana (upward dog), and the exhales happen as you fold the body, like in adho muhka svasana (downward facing dog). I suggest working up to completing five of each surya namaskara foundations daily!
Importance of Breath
Breath is a source of movement and the very core of our existence. I like to ride the sequence as I would a wave in the ocean or an enjoyable piece of music. Try to use only the energy needed to move from point A to B and relax areas that are not required to be engaged. “Be free. Be light. Be joyful in the experience and expression of your personal practice.” David Swenson
Learn more about Ashtanga with Ashtanga Primary Series.
Get started the right way with Yoga! Download for FREE “8 Tips for Thriving with Ashtanga Yoga”
Ashtanga for Dummies- Yoga Traveler Online Program
With Ashtanga for Dummies You’ll get:
- Three pre-recorded yoga sessions for all four pieces of the Ashtanga Short Primary Series- one with modifications to help you learn how to approach the asanas (poses) for YOUR body, one to follow along in time with breath, and one to learn how to teach it for yourself- $260 Value!
- A video tutorial about yoga breathing- $10 Value
- A video tutorial on tricky transitions within the sequence- $10 Value
- 2 PDF’s of the Ashtanga Short Primary Sequence for your reference- $10 Value
- 2 Videos about the Opening Chant of the Ashtanga Primary Series- $20 Value
- 20 CEU’s for Yoga Alliance registered teachers- $200 Value
- Private FaceBook Group for practice tips, motivation, and encouragement- Invaluable!!
And TONS of Bonuses!!!
- Extra Yoga sessions- Ashtanga for Beginners, Yoga Strong, Core Workshop- $60 Value
- Tips, Tricks, and Trade Secrets Posts- $100 Value
- Eight Limbs of Yoga PDF’s- $20 Value
- 3 Tutorials- Transitions, Modifying Seated Postures, Modifying Standing Postures- $30 Value