The Yogi Code
The Yogi code- the five yamas of yoga, sometimes called social ethics, make the first limb of the eight limb path of yoga. They are the principles that teach us how to relate to others in a healthy way. Let’s explore each one.
The Yogi Code Breakdown
Ahimsa- instead of harming others, we are serving others. This helps us to feel compassionate and connected. We can harm others with our motives, intentions, actions, or words. Ahimsa means we harm nothing, not even a little mosquito.
Before you speak, ask yourself: is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, does it improve the silence?Shirdi Sai Baba
Satya- being truthful in all areas of life. Without being truthful, we live a dishonest and delusional life. When we practice Satya, we are free because we hide nothing. Small white lies (or bigger ones) lead us away from our true nature and cause guilt and anxiety. If we are following the yogi code of ahimsa, we would be truthful without causing harm.
Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.John Lennon
Asteya- means nonstealing. Stealing implies a void, we are seeking for external satisfaction. When we practice the yogi code of asteya, we can be the richest person in the world because we will always feel we have enough. We need to be mindful how we take without giving back. We can steal from nature, animals, and others. When we shift from greed to contentment, we never need to steal again.
Earth provided enough to satisfy every man’s needs, but not every man’s greed.Mahatma Gandhi
Brahmacharya- “walking with Brahman.” This is the principle of preserving our creative energy by following the middle path. We do not indulge nor repress desires.
Celibacy goes deeper than the flesh.F. Scott Fitzgerald
Aparigraha- the yogi code of nonhoarding. We can have possessions but not possessiveness. Being a hoarder gives us more desires and in yoga, we reduce desires to become free. When we no longer have the desire to possess anything or anyone, that thing comes to us willingly.
If our love is only a will to possess, it is not love.Thich Nhat Hanh
When follow the Yogi Code, we are on the path to Samadhi, enlightenment!
Instantly download my FREE “8 Ways to Thrive with Ashtanga Yoga.”
Ashtanga for Dummies- Yoga Traveler Online Program
With Ashtanga for Dummies You’ll get:
- Three pre-recorded yoga sessions for all four pieces of the Ashtanga Short Primary Series- one with modifications to help you learn how to approach the asanas (poses) for YOUR body, one to follow along in time with breath, and one to learn how to teach it for yourself- $260 Value!
- A video tutorial about yoga breathing- $10 Value
- A video tutorial on tricky transitions within the sequence- $10 Value
- 2 PDF’s of the Ashtanga Short Primary Sequence for your reference- $10 Value
- 2 Videos about the Opening Chant of the Ashtanga Primary Series- $20 Value
- 20 CEU’s for Yoga Alliance registered teachers- $200 Value
- Private FaceBook Group for practice tips, motivation, and encouragement- Invaluable!!
And TONS of Bonuses!!!
- Extra Yoga sessions- Ashtanga for Beginners, Yoga Strong, Core Workshop- $60 Value
- Tips, Tricks, and Trade Secrets Posts- $100 Value
- Eight Limbs of Yoga PDF’s- $20 Value
- 3 Tutorials- Transitions, Modifying Seated Postures, Modifying Standing Postures- $30 Value