Ashtanga Primary Series Closing
The Ashtanga Primary Series Closing Sequence- You have now arrived at the “bread of the sandwich.” This portion of the practice is primarily focused on back bending.
Ashtanga Primary Series Closing Sequence
When I do a back bend, I like to focus also on the forward lengthening of the poses. This way, I will find balance and not overtax my back. This lifting and lengthening is made possible through a strong focus on the hands and feet creating the base of the pose. We must find a solid grounding point for the hands and feet. If we do not utilize our legs, we take all the strain into the arms and lower back. The legs and feet must create a balance for the arms and hands.
Please note that I would add Urdhva Danurasana (wheel pose) and Paschimottanasana (forward bend) before the shoulder stand. Back bending poses are always countered by forward bends. This brings us back to a neutral point.
This is a great book to outline the Ashtanga Primary Series Closing Sequence, Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual (paid link)
Back bending asanas are a dynamc tool for keeping the spine supple and healthy. Since the spine houses the nervous system, when our spine is loose, we create clearer pathways for the nerve signals to travel the body. Omit poses that do not feel right and come back to them later. Find the joy of back bending! Rejoice in the opening of your heart!
Get started the right way with Yoga! Download for FREE “8 Tips for Thriving with Ashtanga Yoga.”
Ashtanga for Dummies- Yoga Traveler Online Program
With Ashtanga for Dummies You’ll get:
- Three pre-recorded yoga sessions for all four pieces of the Ashtanga Short Primary Series- one with modifications to help you learn how to approach the asanas (poses) for YOUR body, one to follow along in time with breath, and one to learn how to teach it for yourself- $260 Value!
- A video tutorial about yoga breathing- $10 Value
- A video tutorial on tricky transitions within the sequence- $10 Value
- 2 PDF’s of the Ashtanga Short Primary Sequence for your reference- $10 Value
- 2 Videos about the Opening Chant of the Ashtanga Primary Series- $20 Value
- 20 CEU’s for Yoga Alliance registered teachers- $200 Value
- Private FaceBook Group for practice tips, motivation, and encouragement- Invaluable!!
And TONS of Bonuses!!!
- Extra Yoga sessions- Ashtanga for Beginners, Yoga Strong, Core Workshop- $60 Value
- Tips, Tricks, and Trade Secrets Posts- $100 Value
- Eight Limbs of Yoga PDF’s- $20 Value
- 3 Tutorials- Transitions, Modifying Seated Postures, Modifying Standing Postures- $30 Value